Scopers


Glad I Did

Me, sporting the b-fly ring my Auntie gave me!


I spent this past weekend in Connecticut.

My cousin Kaitlyn recently graduated from Sacred Heart University and is about to soon start grad school in Hartford, CT. Child Psychology...

I'm so very proud of her. She and my cousin Arthur are the first to graduate in this family since Kaitlyn's father, my uncle Ken. She's so mature and I truly do see a lot of myself in her. I didn't tell her that, but I do. She's thirsty for knowledge...but, she's going the distance. (Interesting analogy since Kait used to run track). It was also a birthday party. She turned 21 on July 1st.

Kaitlyn and her boo, Stan...isn't he cute? :)


When my mom asked me if I wanted to go, I said yes immediately. I wanted to go and support my little cousin, but I also wanted to just SEE them. My uncle, his wife Kathy and their two girls Kaitlyn & Megan live about 2 hours away in CT. I don't drive. My mother visits more than I do, but often her trips have an agenda...normally church-oriented. I'm not into church like she is. She and my uncle both are reverends...so, I tend to want to stay home. Due to this being more about Kaitlyn, family and fun going wasn't an issue this time. I figured, we'd go and come home. The day OF...my mom informs me that we'd be staying. One, she's not driving the 2hrs there to turn around and do it again later that night. I couldn't be mad...but, I didn't really wanna do an overnighter. I sighed hard and reluctantly got up and began packing a bag. All of a sudden, I wanted to stay home. I love to travel places, but sometimes I just want to be by myself. I thoroughly enjoy my own company. Sue me...lol

We got there and before long my uncle had checked us into the nearby hotel. He'd secured (and paid) for rooms for us all. We rested and eventually back at the house for the tent-covered BBQ in Kaitlyn's honor.



In attendance (other than my uncle and his family) was my Aunt Iris, her youngest son Arthur, his girlfriend Tracey and my other cousin's daughters, Damia and Amaya. My youngest uncle, Maurice came with his wife, JoAnn, son Stephen and my grandmother and matriarch, Mary. Missing in action: My sister, Monifa and her man, Michael, Damia and Amaya's dad, Damyan and my middle uncle, Ernest Sr., his wife Lorraine and their sons Ernie Jr. and Eric. (Down south: My cousin Tisha, her husband and two kids. Their brother Ken Jr...wasn't there either, even though he lives in NY.)

It was something like a mini Family Reunion...but there were also others there from my uncle's church family, his in-laws and neighbors and friends of the girls.

Food was served, live blues was played and we fought for our lives against the mighty Connecticut Mosquitoes. LOL I was eaten alive...back, legs, arms...chile...it was a BBQ and we weren't the only things snacking out there in the woods. LOL

Sunday morning...we all congregated at my uncle's church. He preached a wonderful sermon out of 1st Samuel 19. To summarize: Sometimes no matter how good a warrior you are, you have to let GOD do your fighting FOR you. Those who think they can conquer you when God has already sought your victory...are foolish and will be dealt with. In the meantime, to quote his sermon's caption, "I'm Running For My Life". I realized just how much of that I've been doing. In the past I could have stood my ground, made my statements, retaliated back with words of things I shouldn't have said...but, I chose silence. While doing so...others who know and love me, spoke for me and perhaps that may have irritated my adversaries...but, the truth is the truth and no matter what spin is put on it...the truth needs no garb.

I came away from this weekend...spiritually rejuvenated and duly refueled. My reluctance to go died a very quiet death on the 95 to CT. I didn't want to go on Saturday, but I'm glad I did.

I love my family...they've proven to be more than I even knew. God bless them and those who have become my chosen family. Life is good. God is better...I'm blessed. PERIOD.

2 scopers scoping:

CHOCAROME said...

so inressting!

BTW, I’m your big fan – your style is really original and I read your blog very often and I just wonder..if we could follow each other.. But even if your answer is “no” I’ll be still your reader ♥

xoxo

chocarome.blogspot.com

LeeLee Aint Msbehavin' said...

Sounds like you had a great time. And the pic of you... Absolutely GORGEOUS darlin'!

Find It

 

Like Me a LOT

GGX Jewels

GGX Jewels
Inspire Your Inner Diva

The Beautiful Blogger Award

The Beautiful Blogger Award
Aw, Champ...for ME?

Kween's Sentry

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Lia Sophia

Lia Sophia
Contact JoAnn Monroe for beautiful jewelry

The Love & Truth Challenge

The Love & Truth Challenge

Networked Blogs

Blogroll

I Love Your Blog

I Love Your Blog
Thanks Cook!

The Versatile Blogger Award

The Versatile Blogger Award
Thanks Champ!

sitemeter

About

CURRENT MOON