Scopers


Dia del Pavo 2010~Turkey Day 2010





We came. We ate. We conquered...several helpings in one day. Turkey Day aka Dia del Pavo 2010 was good.


People lost their feet in the dishes served up with consistent goodness. My sister, who was sick and couldn't even smell or taste still did a wonderful job. She complained that she couldn't tell if things were good. I reassured her (before even tasting) that things would be fine. When you cook from memory and not recipe...it's consistent every time...unless you get heavy-handed or you experiment. I very rarely taste food in the process. By eye, I can tell what's just right.


I didn't cook this year. I peeled potatoes for potato salad and that's it. Pots, foiled pans and plastic containers were filled with individual contributions for yesterday's dinner. I was particularly looking forward to the mac-n-cheese made by sis and the stuffing made by mom. I also had a hankering for the smoked turkey my grandmother orders from Fiji every year. As usual it was good...even though this year...he was a tad skinty. Someone didn't feed that fowl. O_O


My grandmother came out of her comfort zone (barely) and spent the night over. On the other hand, she had us watching back to back court television. O_O Then game shows O_O LOL. My grandmother can be a tad rigid in her routine. VH1Soul was on when we entered my sister's house...and immediately...it was too loud. ::good ole grandma:: :)


Eventually, we got into a movie...Grown Ups (to which my grandmother excused herself and went to bed, lol). We laughed at that. Actually, the first movie up for viewing was "Eat. Pray. Love", but my cousin and grandmother heckled from the peanut gallery until I told my sister to put in the comedy. Since I'm actually in mid-read of Eat. Pray. Love...I thought maybe that was a good thing so that I could read first, watch next. *still rolling my eyes at them* lol


I have to say...not hearing my other grandmother's voice on that day was...quiet. Even if I didn't always get to SEE her...I always called and had her run down what she'd cooked and served. If folks visited...If she'd gone out. She'd ask the same. If Thanksgiving landed me in her town, I'd try my best to get someone to take me to see her. There was a bottomless, irreplaceable void this year. I called my dad...knowing this is his first holiday season without her, too. He'd spent it with his brother and sister-in-law. I was glad for that. I hate that we live so far and that my inability to drive puts me so far out of the way of visiting frequently. Maybe a lunch date with dad is in store soon. I'll invite him up and we can go to Applebee's or some dad-friendly spot. lol


I was very thankful for the time I got to spend with my mom, sis, her boyfriend, my aunt, my cousin, his girlfriend and my one remaining grandmother. Even in her sometimes unbending ways, I still smile at her when she isn't looking and shake my head. She's 77...she's not going to change. What CAN change...is her being here. So, I just bite my tongue and let her do what she does and be happy for her getting on my nerves and everyone else's nerves...because one day, we'll bargain for a chance for her to stand tight-rope style on our last, thin nerve.


I hope you all enjoyed your holiday...sorry for the day late, dollar short blog on the holiday. Took me a minute to write it. lol


0 scopers scoping:

Find It

 

Like Me a LOT

GGX Jewels

GGX Jewels
Inspire Your Inner Diva

The Beautiful Blogger Award

The Beautiful Blogger Award
Aw, Champ...for ME?

Kween's Sentry

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Lia Sophia

Lia Sophia
Contact JoAnn Monroe for beautiful jewelry

The Love & Truth Challenge

The Love & Truth Challenge

Networked Blogs

Blogroll

I Love Your Blog

I Love Your Blog
Thanks Cook!

The Versatile Blogger Award

The Versatile Blogger Award
Thanks Champ!

sitemeter

About

CURRENT MOON